Outdoor Warning Sirens
TestingWhen testing the sirens each week, the Fire Department will not sound the sirens on days when the skies are overcast and gray, unless there is an emergency.
On the first Wednesday of the month, the public announcement (PA) and wail will be tested. Residents will hear the following: This is a test. This is a test of the emergency warning system. This is only a test. Concluding the test, residents will hear: This has been a test of the emergency warning system. This was only a test.
If it is not the first Wednesday, only the PA will be tested. Residents will hear the following: This is a test. This is a test of the emergency warning system. This is only a test. This is a test. This is a test of the emergency warning system. This is only a test.
For severe weather, the sirens will wail for three minutes.
The City of Frisco's Outdoor Warning Siren system consists of 40 sirens placed strategically throughout the city. The sirens may be activated individually or in groups to provide localized warnings. Sirens may also be activated simultaneously to provide a general alert for the entire community. The Outdoor Warning Sirens can be controlled from either the Central Fire Station, the 911 Dispatch Center at the Frisco Police Department or from certain Fire Department vehicles.
The 2 types of warning signals used are:
- Wail Signal: This is used for severe weather (including an actual tornado warning) as well as our Wednesday siren testing.
- Alert Signal: This is used for other alerts the city of Frisco requests its citizens to be aware of, like a hazardous material incident.
If you should hear the warning sirens, go inside and seek shelter immediately. Turn on a radio or television and listen carefully to instructions. WBAP Radio 820 AM is the designated Emergency Alert System (EAS) station for our area. Frisco residents with cable should tune to:
- Channel 12 for Grande subscribers
- Channel 16 for Time-Warner subscribers
- Channel 37 for Verizon FIOS subscribers
- Channel 99 for AT&T U-verse subscribers