Workers' Compensation

The City’s workers’ compensation insurance is administered by the Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TML-IRP). TML-IRP is responsible for investigating, determine compensability, and performing various functions related to handling an employee’s claim.

Workers’ compensation insurance provides covered employees with medical benefits, temporary income benefits (TIBs), and impairment income benefits (IIBs) due to a work-related injury or illness.


For the first 90 days following your injury or illness, you will continue to receive a paycheck from the City for your regular earnings and supplemental pay you received before your injury or illness (e.g. certification pay). If you receive temporary income benefit (TIB) payments from TML-IRP, you must hand over the TML TIB checks to Human Resources.

Reporting a Claim

If you incur a work-related injury or illness, it must be reported no later than 30 days from the date the injury or illness occurred. The incident must be reported immediately to your supervisor or department manager, who will then complete the First Report of Injury.

Medical Treatment & Prescription

For non-emergency medical treatment, the City’s preferred providers are Freedom Total Wellness for injuries or illness that occur Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Legacy ER for the weekend or after hour injuries or illnesses.

Freedom Total Wellness

3550 Parkwood Boulevard, Building B, Suite 110
Frisco, Tx 75034
Phone: 972-294-5886
Fax: 214-407-8137
Monday through Thursday
8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Closed for Lunch from 12pm-1pm)

Legacy ER & Urgent Care (East Location) 

16151 Eldorado Parkway
Frisco, Tx 75034
Phone: 972-731-5151
Fax: 972-369-1405
Open 24 hours/day. 7 days/week

An employee can go to any physician or facility in the Public Subdivision Workers’ Compensation Alliance (Alliance). Find a provider.

Workers’ compensation insurance provides life-time medical benefits for work-related injuries or illnesses. You may be entitled to impairment income benefit (IIB) payments if your physician determines you have a permanent impairment from your injury or illness.

For prescriptions, you can go to any major retail pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, etc) and provide the pharmacist with the workers’ compensation First Fill Card. If the pharmacist is unable to fill your prescription, please contact TML-IRP immediately by calling 972-613-1754.

Returning to Work

Modified Duty:
If you receive medical care, your physician may allow you to return to work with restrictions. If your work restrictions prevent you from returning to your regular job, the City may transfer you to an alternative position (with equivalent pay and benefits, but not necessarily equivalent duties) to accommodate your work restrictions.

24-Hour Shift Fire Personnel: You may be temporarily transferred to an 8-hour day schedule while working a modified duty position.

Full Duty:
If you do not need medical care for your injury or illness, you can return to full duty immediately. If you receive medical care, you must have a release from your physician allowing you to return to work without restrictions. Certain positions may require you to pass a physical agility test before returning to full duty.

Job Protection

Workers’ compensation leave of absence runs concurrently with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If eligible for FMLA, the leave time will count against your FMLA entitled leave. If you are unable to work all or a portion of your regularly scheduled hours for more than three days/shifts, you will receive communication from Unum regarding your eligibility for Family Medical Leave or City Leave of Absence.

Disputing a Workers’ Compensation Denial: If TML-IRP determines your injury or illness to be unrelated to your job at the City, you have the right to dispute your denied claim. To do so, please contact the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation, Denton Field Office by calling (940) 380-1400.

To learn more about employee rights and resources provided by the state, please visit the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation webpage.

Learn more about TML-IRP.  You may also call (972) 613-1754 to speak to an adjuster.

Workers’ Compensation Forms and Documents: