What is Stormwater?
The term 'stormwater' is surface water that flows across the land into creeks, rivers, and lakes. Surface water is a precious resource especially in Texas because it is the primary water supply for most cities. Our stormwater in Frisco will eventually enter into water supplies for other cities who provide drinking water to 5.3 million people.
- In 2007 TCEQ issued a General Permit to discharge storm water to the small and medium size cities including Frisco. This required the development of a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) to protect water quality to the maximum extent practicable. The Stormwater Utility Fee was established to provide funds necessary to meet the regulatory requirements. The permit required the SWMP to include six minimum control measures. These are:
What can you do to protect the stormwater?
· Public Education
· Public Involvement and Participation
· Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
· Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
· Post Construction Stormwater Management
· Pollution Prevention and Good House Keeping
You should be aware of these common pollutants and how you can help:
· Fertilizer (should be applied at appropriate rates or consider organic fertilizers)
· Herbicides and Pesticides (use only when necessary and consider natural alternatives)
· Yard Waste (dispose grass clippings and leaves appropriately or consider composting)
· Vehicle Fluids (should take precautions to not to spill and dispose properly)
· Hazardous Household Chemicals (should be disposed properly)
· Pet Waste (must be removed in parks and should consider yard cleaning)
· Trash/Litter (should not leave outside where it can be moved by wind or water.)
· Pool/Spa Water (allow water to declorinate for three days before discharging)
· Sediment (vegetate or mulch bare soil and protect dirt piles from washing away.)
Before beginning a grading project you should check the requirements of the Stormwater Ordinance and the TCEQ General Construction Permit.
What can community organizations do to help protect stormwater?
Storm Drain Marking Project
Adopt A Street
If your organization needs a speaker or topic for an upcoming event, contact the Stormwater Administrator.