If you are charged with a driving offense, you may be eligible to take an approved driving safety course. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
Do not take a driving safety course without first obtaining permission from the court.
To be eligible to take a driving safety course for ticket dismissal, you must:
• Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in person or in writing by certified mail. You are required to complete and submit a Request to Take Driver Safety Course form before your request will be considered.
• Enter a plea of No Contest or Guilty.
• Have a valid Texas Driver's license or permit.
• Have proof of financial responsibility (Insurance).
• Not have taken a driving safety course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your citation. You will be required to sign a legal affidavit stating you are in compliance with this condition.
• Pay $108.00 ($133.00 for school zone offenses) for offenses occurring before January 01, 2008, or pay $112.00 ($137.00 for school zone offenses) for offenses occurring on or after January 01, 2008, which includes state court costs and administrative fees. This amount is subject to change according to State law. Whatever amount is in effect at the time will apply.
You are NOT Eligible to Take a Driving Safety Course for Ticket Dismissal if:
• You hold a Commercial Driver’s License.
• You were charged with speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit.
• You were charged with a violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
• TRC Sec. 472.022 - Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present
• TRC Sec. 545.066 - Passing a school bus
• TRC Sec. 545.401 - Reckless driving
• TRC Sec. 545.421 - Fleeing or attempting to elude Police Officers
• TRC Sec. 550.022 - Accident involving damage to a vehicle
• TRC Sec. 550.023 - Duty to give information and render aid
• TRC Sec. 522.003 - Serious traffic violations
Requesting a Driving Safety Course:
• You may request Driver's Safety in person on or before your first court appearance at the Court Clerk's Office. (click here)
• To request Driver's Safety by mail, complete and following the instructions on the Sworn Request for Driver Safety Course. (click here)
• All request must be made in person or postmarked timely on or before your first court appearance date, which is 20 Business Days from the issuance of the citation.
Once You Have Obtained Approval From the Court and Paid your Fees, You Must:
•Take a state approved driving safety course and return all documentation listed below within 90 days.
• Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. The Application for Copy of Driver Record is available at Texas DPS Online and at the Frisco Municipal Court offices.
• Submit both of the following to the Court by your 90 day deadline:
1) A certificate of completion from a state approved driving safety course.
2) A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
No extensions will be given.
Where can you Take a Driving Safety Course?
The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Court personnel cannot recommend a driving safety school. The yellow pages of your local phone directory usually contain a list of state approved driving safety schools. There are also courses available online.