Downtown Redevelopment (Street Improvements and Plaza)
Progress continues on the development of conceptual designs to improve streets through downtown Frisco and to create a 4th Street Plaza. The project is part of the Downtown Master Plan Update (PDF), approved by the City Council in 2018.
Exhibits displayed during a Frisco Redevelopment Open House in December depict a more pedestrian-friendly, reimagined downtown. View the renderings here (PDF).*
*Renderings provided by Kimley Horn are preliminary.
- Downtown Redevelopment: Main Street
- Downtown Redevelopment: 4th Street Plaza YouTube Vide
- Progress in Motion: Downtown Redevelopment Update
Four key elements provide a framework to make the downtown area more pedestrian friendly:
1. Elm Street
2. Main Street
3. 4th Street Plaza
4. Parking Garage
(1st Street to South County Road)
Project is substantially complete.
The reconstruction of Elm Street is nearly complete and open to two-way traffic between 1st Street and South County Road.
Drivers are urged to use caution as construction crews complete work along Elm Street.
- reconstructed Elm Street to a concrete roadway
- added on-street parallel parking
- widened sidewalks
- improved street lighting
- installed a new traffic signal at 5th and Elm
- added street signage to keep traffic moving on Elm
- improved the storm drainage system
(1st Street to South County Road)
Construction is anticipated to start in Q2 of 2024. Estimated project completion is April 2026.
- removal of on-street parking
- wider sidewalks to include benches and trees
- addition of a rail-type barrier separating the east and west bound lanes will carry the rail theme throughout Main Street
- full depth paving replacement
- traffic signal improvements (Main/South County)
4th Street Plaza
The plaza will serve as a pedestrian connection between Elm and Main streets and provide a community gathering space.
The design phase is in progress. Estimated project completion is April 2026.
- Rail-themed covered path will guide visitors across Main Street and into the Plaza
- Large green space with open seating
Plans are to build a new parking garage on the west side of 4th Street.
The design phase is in progress.
Notes Concerning Construction Activity
Safety in the project area is a priority. Please respect all signs and construction zones, and slow down when driving by. Barricades will be in place when concrete is poured and as it cures. Avoiding contact with concrete during this process will minimize delays in construction.
Construction schedules change for a number of reasons, sometimes with little notice. Please understand there will be changes. We appreciate your patience.
- Where should I park during construction?
- How will access to homes and businesses be maintained?
- Will mail service be affected?
- Will trash and recycling collection be affected?
- Will emergency services be afected?
- How will school busses be affected?
- Will existing landscape features be impacted?
- Will lawn areas be restored if disturbed?
Capital Improvement Project Dashboard
Keep up to date on all capital improvement projects currently active within the City of Frisco Engineering Services and Public Works Departments. The interactive map displays project locations, general construction timeframes and estimated construction costs.
View the CIP Dashboard here.